Friday, October 8, 2010

Using the What the Textbook Says in Real Life


Today I am going to try and do my first art critique! With the guidelines that I’ve been given from our readings in Design Basics by David A. Lauer and Stephen Pentak, I think I can put a little something, something together.

What I will be evaluating today is the new Warriors logo. The goal of this logo was to salute the team’s past and bring links to the exciting prospects of the organization’s future.

So this is what I think:

Description- The focal point of the design is a silhouette of the yet-to-be-completed Eastern Span of the Bay Bridge. The team state is curved at the top, with the team name curved at the bottom. All of this is done in the new warriors colors of "warriors royal blue" and "California golden yellow"

Analysis- the lettering at the top and the lettering at the bottom are proportionate to the circle as they both cover equal surface area. This creates balance within the logo. The yellow bridge stands out as the dark blue in the background contrasts it. The angle that the bridge is placed is interesting because it is not centered; causing the whole image to almost look tilted and crooked. 

Interpretation- overall, the logo gets the job done. It does pay tribute to the past, but it could have been done more creatively. Many have said that it is not a throwback because the design is of a bridge that is not yet built. Also, there have been complaints about the mediocre font that was chosen. Personally, I think that they should have kept the old team colors of blue and orange. And I do agree with the comments about the font.

Honestly, I would not have noticed any of these things if I had not taken a design course and read about unity, emphasis, focal points, scales, proportions, balance, etc.

I hope this is what a critique is! It was actually kinda fun :)

Dear warriors logo designers,

Please take all this criticism constructively.
Thank you.

Stephanie Wong 


No comments:

Post a Comment