Thursday, October 14, 2010

Design as a Conversation


Current events (some more current than others):
  • I bought a Macbook before the start of school.
  • I learned what the word iconography means.
  • I played badminton at the ARC.
  • I got a job through ASUCD. 
But what I really wanted to write about is my Macbook. It has all these really cool features, from shortcuts that you can use with your track-pad, to easy to manage layouts! I really like it. And you can change it to any language that you want.

Anyway, in my design class, we were told to memorize what iconography meant. Iconography means the pictorial language of signs and symbols and their transformations over time. This brought me back to thinking about my Macbook. Macbooks have these little icons that stay consistent no matter what language you set it to.

Isn’t that something interesting? No matter what language you speak, you can understand what these little images are referring too. These little icons are universal ways of communication. The designs of these little guys are speaking out all over the world. It’s a conversation with everyone and anyone.

The impact that such a simple picture can convey is astonishing. No wonder the Egyptians worked with hieroglyphics. That way, it wouldn’t matter if people spoke the same language or not. As long as they could see the symbols, they would be able to understand the message. That means… a picture is worth more than a thousand words!! Its probably worth like a million billion.








http://www.icondrawer.com/img/free_img/Black&Blue_icons.jpg
http://www.justbathroomsigns.com/img/lg/S/Funny-Unisex-Bathroom-Sign-SE-2028.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment