Sunday, October 17, 2010

Carrying College On Your Back


Entering college, I noticed that quite a few people had North Face brand backpacks. Once I realized this, I started seeing them everywhere! Right and left, east and west, there was that distinguishable North Face logo and style. What about those backpacks were so intriguing that everyone had to have one? (I am not going to lie. I gave in to the temptations as well haha)

I wasn’t able to find out why people like North Face backpacks so much, besides their amazing longevity, pleasing aesthetics, and durability, but I was able to learn a little bit about how backpacks are made. I found this video starring a backpack designer.


Backpacks are one of those normal everyday things that people often overlook. The designers of these storage items are much under appreciated if you ask me. I didn’t realize it then, but a lot of thought goes into the design of these bags.

Here are some things that the designers have to consider: price, measurements, functionality, and comfort: just to name a few.

Industrial designers/product designers are truly the well-rounded ones. They are sufficient in their creativity skills, as well as their mathematical skills. So the next time you see someone drawing a backpack, you should buy them lunch J

P.s. I like to draw backpacks on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment