Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Joy of Design

Many people associate design to be mostly two-dimensional. I myself thought that for the longest time. I never realized that design was in EVERY single aspect of everyone’s lives.  It was not only what you saw printed on paper handouts, or what you saw on your best friend’s blog. Design is more than that. From the computer you are reading this on, to the clothes you are wearing, everything that you can see, touch, and hear had to be designed. 

Design has always made an impact on me, even when I didn’t know so. My elementary school’s jungle gym made an early impact on me. That structure was magnificent. Every single bar, step, and swing stimulated joy and imagination within me.  It revealed my adventurous side as well, taunting me with its tall tubular slides.

I couldn’t help myself from being drawn to it. The colors called to me when I was in class. The unbelievable height of it intrigued me. The woodchips on the ground reassured me. That jungle gym made me look forward to going to school. it was a place to make friends.  It also became a place of solitude. it made me feel like I could conquer anything after climbing to the top. Someone had to design this amazing playground. And I’m so glad that they did.

I know that being a design major will open up many doors for me. I am not yet sure what emphasis I want to have, whether it be product design, package design, advertising, or maybe all three, I know that design will allow me to impact lives all around the world.

Who knows? Maybe I’ll be the one designing the next jungle gym for your children!


childhood memories <3

No comments:

Post a Comment